By Delia Stafford
ARE YOU DEEMED A HABERMAN STAR TEACHER? YES, NO, MAYBE SO,CERTAINLY? FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN AND YOUTH OF AMERICA, EVERY TEACHER SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO DEMONSTRATE EVERY LAST ONE OF THE SKILLS DR.MARTIN HABERMAN RESEARCHED AND USE THEM ON A DAILY BASIS DURING THEIR TEACHING CAREER.
WHAT HABERMAN STAR TEACHERS DO: Dr. Haberman wrote the following:
- Make school a positive place and make learning as enjoyable and successful as possible.
- Connect learning to students’ interests
- Model and teach appreciation of learning for its own sake rather than for rewards
- Convince students they are welcome in the school and in their classroom
- Are gentle while consistently firm; a great manager with much flexibility
- Seek to understand without judging
- Own up to their own mistakes and try to fix them
- Carefully choose homework and assign sparingly
- Base student evaluation at least partly on student effort and progress
- Never “blame the victim”; do whatever is possible in school regardless of the realities of the home, family, and neighborhood.
- Find a way to teach in the style they know is best for their students
- Maintain positive ongoing contact with all parents and guardians
- Use behavior management techniques that teach children to take responsibility for their own behavior; avoid arbitrary discipline or punishment measures
Listed here as performance information, after fifty years of research,5,000 teacher interviews, he concluded that the great teachers, the Haberman Star Teachers, all appeared to have the same undergirding ideology regarding teaching and learning and consistently demonstrated the fine art of these teaching behaviors.